Singapore is known to be a food paradise and the hainanese chicken rice is one of our delicacy. While it’s quite a tedious process to whip up a meal of authentic hainansese chicken rice (involves frying the rice and all), you can also prepare a cheater bug version in a rice cooker.
- 2 chicken thighs
- 2 cups of rice (we are using a mix of Thai polished and unpolished rice)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 slices of ginger
- 5 blades of pandan leave
- 2 cups of water or chicken stock
- 1 Japanese cucumber
- soya sauce
- seasame oil
- Wash rice, chicken thighs and pandan leaves.
- Smash garlic and ginger to help release its fragrance during cooking
- Add all the ingredients into the rice cooker.
- Pour in the seasoning. And let the rice cooker does its magic!
- While waiting for magic to happen, peel and slice cucumber.
- Voila a simple dinner in 30mins!
If you are preparing this for little humans, you might like to season the rice after it is cooked to reduce to amount of soya sauce and sesame oil accordingly. I also blended chicken rice, pieces of chicken, some veggie and chicken stock to a porridge consistency for C when she was much younger. So yup, a simple meal for the whole family!